Saturday, August 25, 2007

Newsday article on autism

This link was sent to me by another mom whose daughter has autism. You may have seen it already, but if not, here's the link:

New Understanding of Autism

I read the article, and I intend to read it again. While it's confirming what I've suspected for a while now, that there's a genetic component to autism, it's a bit disturbing that the 'blame' seems to be shifting to mothers. The article mentions how mutated genes get transferred by moms. Great, thanks. Because I don't beat myself up enough every time my son does something like throwing a video game across the room (which he just did two seconds ago) because he's frustrated instead of asking for help.

I'm sure that the researchers and the writer aren't really attacking mothers, and the more answers are uncovered, the better. I'll work on not taking articles like this personally, but at the moment, it's not making me feel too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome & I look forward to reading what you have to say. If you'd like to follow the conversation, please subscribe to the post comments. Have a great day!