Monday, January 12, 2009

Soothing a Meltdown

Yesterday, we decided to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch and some video games because MM was insisting on it for some reason. We'd spend all day Saturday indoors because of the weather. Because of that, Gus wasn't in any particular mood to go anywhere or do anything. He was a bit resistant as we prepared to leave, and I wanted to give him some Reiki energy before getting in the car, but I got a phone call, and everyone sort of left me in the dust. Then I drove, so I couldn't really do it while driving. Hence, we got there and Gus was not a happy camper. Thankfully, the place was not crowded at all; he would have been overstimulated on top of everything else.

He wanted to do everything but what we asked: didn't want to put his jacket on, didn't want to wait until after lunch to go play in the giant slide (If he'd been allowed to do that it would have resulted in a worse situation when he needed to come down to eat - and he really needed to eat by then.), didn't even want to get his hand stamped. We selected a table and he wanted to sit in the area reserved for parties. He got a bit whiny and started to flail about under the table. I got him calm enough to negotiate another table in the unreserved section, but that only worked for about thirty seconds until he started getting agitated again.

I wasn't sure if Reiki would be possible at that point, but I tried it. I loosely put my arms around him and began sending the energy. Normally, any form of restraint would have made him more upset, but I was stunned to see that he relaxed right into my arms and accepted the energy. He calmed right down - it was truly amazing. Even DH was pleasantly surprised. Once the energy stopped, he still exhibited some mild annoyance, but he wasn't on the floor or crying. A little food, and he was right as rain. He had a great time and was in a pretty good mood for the rest of the day.

While this isn't exactly conclusive regarding the effect that Reiki is or isn't having on him, I think it's at least a positive sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome & I look forward to reading what you have to say. If you'd like to follow the conversation, please subscribe to the post comments. Have a great day!